Voting in Washington

The election process in Washington DC was quite smooth, but the atmosphere was very intimidating. I arrived at the Chancery on Wisconsin avenue at about 9:30 AM. I was accompanied by my cousin who was voting for the first time in his life.

We were stopped at the gate and asked why we were there. Once our purpose was stated and our names were verified on the electoral lists we were shepherded into the parking lot of the embassy. By habit, we immediately went to the waiting area outside the embassy for us to be called. There were at least 8 people outside: 3 gentlemen sitted on two of the 5 seats available, 2 others at the gate, the ambassador's driver, the big receptionist and a few other embassy personnel. Inside, behind the reception counter, 2 gentlemen were standing, with an ELECAM badge hanging from their necks. The ambassador was standing and watching a repeat of the latest football game of the indomitable lions on CRTV by internet connection. Some embassy staff were standing and everyone seems very courteous and ready to offer you a seat. I said hello to the ambassador and asked him how he was doing. He said he was OK.

When my turn cam to vote, I was ushered, politely into the conference room of the chancery where voting took place. Inside was the Cultural attache of the embassy, who doubled as the ELECAM boss at the station, another lady, Babette Noah, a gentleman by the name of Djonkeu (sp?) and more embassy personnel this day re-branded as ELECAM officials.

I voted and even had my picture taken. Yes, there was the photographer of the Embassy ( I say so because on every important occasion that I have attended there, he has always been the photographer on duty). When I went out, my cousin was asked to come in by someone, then told to wait by another person and finally he too voted.

It struck me that NO One from the CPDM party could dare vote against their candidate the way things were set up. With the exception of a few, almost everyone I have met at the embassy is affiliated to the CPDM and is from the either the South, Centre or East Regions. I would have felt uncomfortable as a free-thinking CPDM person to vote in that room, with all those eyes watching. I can imagine a very zealous militant taking only Biya's ballot and making a big scene out of it to secure a small favor.

When I cam back to observe the elections, I was interviewed by VOA and I told them my mind. I especially referred to the fact that the voter registration process was very flawed. The Cult. Attache refused to register people who did not have green cards and continued registering people even when the deadline was over. On Wednesday, August 31, my cousin was registered. He was # 145. I was registered the next day after a long battle (follow story here). I was #167. In two days, 22 more people had been registered. The final list had 246 names. This means at the very least, 60 people were registered when the registration was over. The Washington public was never informed of any extension.

At 6 pm, the public was allowed in. It turned out to be a big show for the incumbent.

As a side note, my various complaints about the embassy have made them to change things: they have been collecting bits if information on me and I was informed by a close person that they have been instructed to do anything to avoid me. They are not allowed to talk to me or provide any information to me as I am "un opposant farouche".

Now that's exciting change! I told my informant that she/he should inform the embassy that the only way to easily get rid of me is to be courteous, efficient and even expeditious in the way they serve me. I will settle for nothing less.

I will still go to the embassy, and I will be served because as I have explained to them repeatedly, serving me is not a favor. It is my right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Years of Glory: The Call

How associations are changing and what that means for some members.

12 Years of Glory: The Last Roadtrip