The first mile: journey into the mind of a reluctant jogger.

The last mile is the most complicated, the most difficult some say, but as a reluctant jogger, I'd like to draw your attention to the first mile.

It all started with a promise (although I'd like to consider it a wish) that I made public on FB that I was embarking on a journey to shed off some 15-20 pounds to an ideal 170-175 for my short 5.8' stature. The reason to make that public was to be accountable to someone. There is always someone who will remind you of what they read on your profile ... So it was last month when a friend brought the matter up and said jokingly "but you don put on weight, oh!" Like I needed any reminders!

I have come up with all kinds of excuses why I was not working on my goal: it was too cold, the kids, it's too early, it's too late, it doesn't really matter I can still lose weight whenever I want, besides look at all those overweight people, am I not better than they are...? Yes, it is amazing what goes through the mind of people who fail. The truth is, I have feared heart conditions and other cardiovascular diseases that compound your risks for any other kind of disease. At my age you hear lots of stories about the nightmare some people go through sometimes without the comfort of even a diagnosis. I tend to see life as a lottery, some people will smoke their way into 90 years. Others will perish of lung cancer before they even think about life. Although the odds are stacked against most of us, we can't stop, throw up our arms and do just about anything. It is important to know that although you may not be the jackpot winner, you still need to have a potential winning ticket.

When I buy a lottery ticket, I sometimes go for months without checking it. The possession of the ticket gives me the feeling of a winner. It is not unusual for me to think of the things that I would do WHEN I cash in on that jackpot. Taking steps to staying healthy should be like buying a lottery ticket. I know what you are thinking: life is not a lottery. It is more serious than that. Ok, then. In case you haven't noticed, you are reading from a blog where the most eccentric insanity make it into the mainstream. All I am saying is if staying healthy is like winning a jackpot will you just give up because you cannot win?

Not too far

I haven't really done anything to harm my goal or lingered far from it. I thought I could just on a whim plunge into this one-meal-a-day program and voila, the pounds will start melting away. Yes, I have had many days when I ate just a meal. Unfortunately with the knowledge that I was "doing well", I indulged whenever the opportunity presented itself. It is really hard to not eat when you are literally swimming in a pool of food. Today, I feel comfortable after a meal: quantities are well measured and I try to eat early and give myself about three hours after I eat to go to bed. That's why when I go to events early (I like to be on time) I am almost always frustrated that there is so much good food, but we have to wait for some important person  to show up before we start eating. I usually sneak into the kitchen and eat, sometimes despite the scolding and barely concealed disgust look of the host. 

The first mile:
I ran the first mile of 2014 in April when the cold eased off a bit. I had made up my mind the week before, that I will start on a particular day. When I stepped out of the house that Monday, I felt relieved that I had finally started. The first mile was easy. The second, not so much, but I did. I ran a total of 5 miles that day. When I got home I was ok, but got sick the following day. High temperatures, muscle aches made matters worse. I had picked up an infection from the kids. For the next two weeks nothing happened. Then I went back. 5 miles on Monday, five on Wednesday, 6.5 on Saturday. I am starting to feel really well about myself, but then I thought about the 70 year old man who ran 4 miles EVERYDAY. Hmmm, is that really possible? Well his circumstances are different... Ok then. I won't run 4 everyday, but I will run eight miles on Monday.

When Monday came around I wasn't feeling too well. I was under the influence of allergy: itchy eyes, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, and shortness of breath (allergy induced asthma sums up my doctor). It was easy to give up, but I wanted to write this blog entry. I stepped out of the house wearing my white long sleeve champion jersey that had been my companion for over seven years, a sweat pant, my phone and Bluetooth headset. I invited my good companion, Richard Bona along on this trip. I loaded all his songs and took off as "Bonatology (Incantation)" blasted in my right ear. I was going to run 8 miles today! 

My course is a triangle that commences with a straight stretch from my apartment to the an intersection. That distance is about .3 miles (not measured yet. At the intersection, I run facing traffic at the beginning of Hanover parkway where it intersects with Mandan road. From that intersection to Greenbelt rd (rte 193) is .5 miles. That stretch starts with an uphill incline and about 3/5ths you begin a descent to the intersection. Climbing this hill towards Greenbelt road was my first challenge. I quickly ran out of breath and had to heave my chest heavily to inhale the maximum amount of oxygen I needed. One step, two steps breathe, one step two steps breathe. I was getting tired and thinking that I will have to go through this 5 times for this particular stretch! I kept on running. When I started going downhill, I felt slightly better, but still needed more oxygen that I was breathing in. I should have used the inhaler I thought to myself.

At the Greenbelt rd and Hanover pkwy, I turned left, but stayed on the left side of the road to face the oncoming traffic. I always like to face oncoming traffic. The next distance, equally half a mile was all hill. This is where I usually tested myself. I also faced the sun and rising temperatures. As I climbed the hill, I thought it will be ok to give up and just go home. No one would know! I kept running, one breathe... two breathe, three breathe... I made to to the top of the hill and got to the next intersection: Greenbelt rd and Mandan Rd: .5 miles. This time, I was going downhill, it was shaded and it felt good. Back to where the next intersection. That was the most difficult first lap I had ever run. Lap two totaled 1.5 miles. I completed it with the same difficulties. Same for lap three. Lap four was a real challenge. Fatigue, dehydration were setting in, but something got better: my breathing. I had a rhythm: one two three inhale, one two three exhale.

Lap five. What do you think?

Yes, I completed lap five. If life were like completing five laps of 1.5 miles with a psychological reward in the end, I think most of us will succeed. But I am reminded each day of how complex things are for each and everyone of us. I am extremely lucky to be able to run and be free. The same cannot be said for a lot of people. All our endeavors will not be compensated with success, but that doesn't mean we should not try, right? Before we try, before we give it our best shot, all we have to do is start. I have started. I will lose 15 lbs and I will run 8 laps by June 10!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Years of Glory: The Call

12 Years of Glory: The Last Roadtrip

How associations are changing and what that means for some members.